Avoid becoming a phishing victim. Stay informed.
To ensure that phishing attacks are not successful, please take a minute to review the following practical tips and best practices. Our office works diligently to keep the network free of viruses, spam, and phishing scams, but malicious items are sometimes able to bypass our protective measures.
If you are in any way suspicious of an email you receive, please report the suspected Phishing to the Help Desk and to Google.
Please note: Adelphi’s IT Help Desk representatives and network administrators will NEVER contact you by email or phone, asking you to reply with your username, password or other sensitive information.
Avoid Becoming a Victim
- Be suspicious of any email with urgent requests to reset your username/password. Never send your username/password or other confidential data in an email to anyone, not even to us! When in doubt, call us directly and do not respond to the suspicious email.
- Adelphi policy does not allow the sharing of passwords with anyone, for any reason. Convenience should not override policy. Part-time employees and student workers must get accounts of their own.
- If you receive a link in an email or an instant message, only use it to get to a web page if you trust the person who sent it to you and if you know the message is authentic.
- Check whether the email was authenticated by the sending domain. Click on the ‘Show Details’ link in the right hand corner of the email, and make sure the domain you see next to the ‘mailed-by’ or ‘signed-by’ lines matches the sender’s email address.
- Always ensure that you’re using a secure website when submitting credit card or other sensitive information via your web browser. Look for “https” in the browser address bar and the security lock in the bottom right corner.
- Regularly check your bank, credit, and debit card statements to ensure that all transactions are legitimate.
- Report phishing or “spoofed” emails in your Adelphi email account to the Help Desk and Google.
- If you accidentally responded to a phishing message, please inform us as soon as possible.