Get to know the many functions of Adelphi IT.
The Office of Information Technology is a diverse group of professionals committed to serving the needs of Adelphi’s students, faculty, staff, and administration to facilitate their educational and cocurricular activities at Adelphi University.
We invite you to browse the department descriptions below to become more familiar with our services and how we can help you perform your work and activities more efficiently.
Office of the CIO
- The Office of the CIO (Chief Information Officer) is composed of several operational functions that lead and support Adelphi University IT endeavors. These activities include leadership of major IT initiatives, development of IT policy, information security and crisis management in data and technology operations, technology equipment research and purchasing, budget planning and project management, and daily functions that ensure efficiency of the IT office.
- Chief Information Officer
- Oversees the Office of Information Technology and the Office of the Registrar.
- Chairs (or is a member of) several committees, allowing synergy between academics and technology.
- Advocates for the University’s technology needs and provides the tools necessary to provide all services required/requested.
- IT Budget Planning and Project Management
- Maintains and manages operating and capital budgets.
- Reviews, submits and coordinates all contract and service agreements.
- Manages Library Technology and IT Communications departments.
- In charge of renovating facilities and project management.
- Information Security
- Information security policy development, implementation and dissemination.
- IT crisis management, business continuity and disaster recovery.
- Computer security incident response.
- Physical security of IT areas.
- Computer and Equipment Purchasing
- Conduct needs assessment for end user IT requests.
- Assure adherence to Adelphi IT purchasing procedures and policies.
- Provide a high level of service to the AU community.
- Create leverage for the University and ensure sound fiscal decisions.
- IT Office Management
- Manages daily operations (i.e., bill payment, requisition processing, etc).
- Supports the Chief Information Officer.
- Maintains several administrator’s calendars.
- Assists in the organization and planning of events for the department.
- Handles front desk operations, ensuring all customers that visit our office receive the best form of service.
- Schedules meetings and trainings for the department staff.
- The IT Communications Department has three core responsibilities: Telephone and Voicemail Systems, Multimedia Technology, and Campus Television Services. We serve the entire Adelphi University community, including students, faculty, staff, administration and alumni.
- Telephone and Voicemail Systems
Support and maintenance of Adelphi’s Alcatel PCX telephone system, which includes:
- Handle all telephone-related requests (moves, adds, and changes on the system)
- Install and maintain all academic and administrative phone sets (digital, analog and VoIP)
- Design and integrate customized call agent applications (call routing services)
- Provide continuous, uninterrupted, quality telephone and voicemail services
- Conference calling (voice bridging services)
- Coordinate with vendors for estimates and installations of voice/data and TV cabling
- Troubleshoot network connectivity issues with voice and data runs
- Repair data and voice jacks
- Design, integrate, and support our customizable Call Center
- Multimedia Technology
Design, installation, and support of audio and visual systems for both academic and administrative applications throughout our main campus and remote centers:
- Maintain multimedia equipment
- Video conferencing for site-to-site and multisite calls
- Train staff on multimedia equipment when requested
- Design, coordinate, and install new multimedia instructional, lab, open-access and conference spaces
- Provide solutions and innovative ideas for how to better utilize multimedia technology
- Campus Television Services
Providing the campus community with cable television services:
- Maintain and monitor the head-end television equipment and cable infrastructure
- Install and repair coaxial cable ports
- Coordinate projects and troubleshoot issues with service provider
- The IT Help Desk provides a point of contact for students, faculty, administration, and staff who have computer and related technology questions, problems, or work requests. The Help Desk will attempt to resolve reported issues and assist the user in maximizing his/her use of applications and/or equipment.
- Find out more about the IT Help Desk
- As an extension of the Adelphi University Help Desk, Network Technicians provide field response to repair or replace computers and related equipment.
If you require assistance from the Net Techs, please contact the IT Help Desk and they will assign your issue to the appropriate technician.
If you are looking to order new software or hardware, please make sure to review our Software and Hardware Purchasing Guidelines.
- What we do
- Order, deliver, and set up computers for labs and individual staff and faculty.
- Design and implement the necessary complement of software for each computer used on campus.
- Provide fast response to repair or replace computers and related equipment.
- Clean viruses and malicious software from computers.
- Maintain the front end of the network structure to ensure that everyone is connected to the network and the Internet.
Residential Computer Associates (RCAs)
- Having trouble with your Internet connection? Need someone to help you set up your hub? If these are questions you’re asking yourself, then an RCA is who you are looking for!
The RCAs (Residential Computer Associates) are students employed by Adelphi University IT to provide one-on-one assistance to their fellow students living in the residence halls with common technical issues such as connecting to the Adelphi network.
It is our job to do our best to make sure that you are able to connect to the Adelphi Network in your Residence Hall. If you are having trouble connecting to the network, we can look at your computer in order to diagnose the problem.
In addition to supporting the Help Desk, we offer monthly technology workshops in Adelphi’s residence halls on topics such as getting online, staying connected, protecting your personal information and other computing questions that are on your mind. RCAs and other student workers also lead the Peer-to-Peer Training sessions available to all students. Get in contact with your RCA at email@example.com.
Please note that RCAs are not able to fix your computer’s hardware but will give you direction to aid you in getting your computer repaired.
- Ask us tech questions
Student Academic and Administrative Services (SAAS)
- Student Academic and Administrative Services is responsible for developing, maintaining and improving the systems that form the backbone of the University’s database functions.
- The Network & Systems Administration team is in charge of maintaining Adelphi University’s information technology infrastructure. This covers a wide span of network technologies, including both wired and wireless connections throughout campus, our multiple connections to the Internet and network security.
In addition, we maintain the campus’ Google email system, the Panther academic Linux server, Moodle online learning system, and various other servers and data stores used by students, faculty, staff and administrators.
If you are experiencing an issue with your AU Gmail, network drives, Moodle access, Panther or wireless connection, please contact the IT Help Desk and they will assign your issue to the appropriate administrator.
- Special Projects is an integral part of the SAAS group, supporting the campus auxiliary systems used by the University’s administrative and academic departments. Our responsibilities include research, migration, upgrades, database maintenance, database monitoring, data transfer and various other support services as required by the Adelphi community.
- Directs phone calls to the appropriate departments within Adelphi University. If your phone or location information is incorrect in the directory, please send the details of your correction to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Adelphi Libraries’ IT Services team provides technical support and access to libraries’ full breadth of resources for the Adelphi University community.
We offer a gateway to the libraries’ numerous resources by utilizing and maintaining a variety of systems and methods, including the Adelphi Libraries’ website, the online catalog (ALICAT), electronic databases, ejournals and ebooks, ILL server (ILLiad), proxy server and a link resolver which pulls these resources together so that, no matter what their starting point, patrons can find what they need.
The Library Archives and Special Collections digitization projects and digital library servers are also supported by the libraries’ technology specialists.
In addition, we support the staff and faculty of the libraries by administering the integrated library system (ILS) as well as several other applications needed for library operations, including acquisitions, cataloging, electronic reserves, interlibrary loan and library instruction.
- Find out more about the Adelphi University Libraries
- The Web Technologies group is responsible for the University’s web applications as well as mobile applications available through AU2Go. We also develop and maintain the eCampus portal and Moodle Course Management System.
We are also responsible for the secured data access infrastructure including user authentication, group management, and single sign-on. We work with both in-house developers as well as our third-party technology partners to provide a stable platform for the University’s web needs.
By staying on top of emerging technologies in the field of web and app development, we are able to evaluate the needs of the University while using the best tools for the job.